Debate all our main site articles here.
  • Page:

TOPIC: The McCoist Dilemma

The McCoist Dilemma 8 years 1 month ago #2684

I'm sorry to read that you didn't like the article. It's obviously a sensitive subject and given McCoist's history with the club I I can't expect everyone to agree with even something that I thought was only mildly critical. I felt I'd made it clear that McCoist will always be a legend and that we owe him a huge debt of gratitude for his work since administration. But that doesn't mean he is necessarily the best manager to take the team forward. What's more, I don't think I'm alone in having these doubts. Is having to rely on spending money to buy better players rather than developing young players or those currently at the club likely to 'help Rangers' in the long run? I'm far from convinced.

Finally, it would be appreciated if you didn't question the allegiance of those with whom you disagree. We all want the best for Rangers.

Cheers,
Alasdair

p.s. For the record I read all of Chris' stuff!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

The McCoist Dilemma 8 years 1 month ago #2685

• Neogattuso
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
This article is an argument which I have been stating all season. One which I know many of my family, friends and fellow members of my local supporters club agree with.

There is no doubt that McCoist was, is and always will be a Rangers legend, that is never in doubt, but that does not mean that he is a good manager for Rangers. I have tried to give him the benefit of the doubt on many occasions, but there are just too many decisions that I disagree with. Some of these are little things, some of them are potentially much bigger.....

1. Everyone back to defend a corner.....why? It means there is absolutely no out ball, the opposition don't have to leave any more than one person back to defend and when we clear the ball it just gets lumped back into our half to put us back under pressure.

2. Unimaginitive style of football.....we have two methods of attack as far as I can see......hump the ball up to Daly, or feed Wallace down the left hand side....not in any way good enough.

3. Playing players out of position instead of trusting the younger players. This season it started with McAusland being sent on loan in order to play Faure, a centre back, at right back when the transfer embargo lifted. It has continued with McCulloch being played at centre back every week since the transfer ban ended, with McLeod being played out left to accommodate Black and Law, and more recently, in the case of this weekend, resulted in Faure being brought on at centre midfield when we had the likes of Crawford and Telfer on the bench. Considering the league was already won, the decision was baffling.

4. Signing players who add nothing to the squad, but add a drain to the wages. The signing of Simonsen, Foster, and to an extent Mohsni, were entirely unnecessary. We already had players, be it fringe players or young boys to fill those positions. In fact, the signing of Foster resulted in the release of Andy Mitchell who McCoist stated had clearly benefited from being on loan (in the division above us), but could not be guaranteed first team football. This shows an inability to judge what he already has at his disposal.

5. The signing of Arnold Peralta....I don't even need to expand on this point.

6. The inability to play entertaining football in the second division, despite having a team comprising mostly of players of a Premier League Standard....quite frankly it's criminal that he has not been able to get their proven ability to show in most matches this season. It leads you to question whether he can get the best out of players.

7. The fact that he still insists that we need to add more players to a squad which is already full to bursting, when as mentioned, his core team comprise of players with plenty of Premier League experience.

8. Favouritism....quite simply over the course of the last two seasons, he has played favourites with certain players who under other managers who have been benched or dropped entirely until they bucked up their ideas. It's unbecoming of a manager, and does no good to a squad mentality.

All of these points, as well as ones which i'm sure I've missed out, show a manager with very little tactical knowledge, poor judgement of player ability, and need to overcompensate to overcome his deficiencies instead of admitting he's not up to the task. If McCoist stays, we will never truly give youth a chance, we will never form any particular "brand" of football, and we most certainly will fall back into the trap of buying our way to titles instead of developing the required talent ourselves.

No doubt there will be people who disagree, as is their right, but i'm afraid that many people might disagree out of a misplaced loyalty to a club legend, instead of a loyalty to the club as a whole.

The McCoist Dilemma 8 years 1 month ago #2686

• True and Blue
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Thanks for the response Al,
We live in a world of over analysis and football is no different.
In my 40 years + watching Rangers I’ve seen a few manager, some were great, others less so.
In all cases I questioned whether they were the best and every time I concluded the same thing. That being, they were not.
It’s what football fans do whether it be the new star striker the manager or whoever.
This if different.
We have a manager currently working in a time no Rangers fan could have foreseen.
His crime seems to be having lost less than a handful of games in 2 years, is that the football isn’t pretty, we pay wages that are too high, and he should be playing more kids.
Well Walters’s teams were not always pleasing on the eye.
I agree we pay wages beyond what should be required but we need players to get us through these leagues. No mistakes can be even considered, so perhaps at times it’s a sledgehammer to crack a nut.
Play the kids…. Well try standing in the East Enclosure and listen to the abuse chucked at young Aird in recent weeks….and that’s while we are cruising to the title.

So given the above why are we even talking about this.
We quite obvious to me is the link in the chain Ally represents, he is seen by those outside as Rangers.
The fans have never had such focus on a manager (who isn’t getting beaten very often) by the media then some will fall for it. Some won’t see past the subtle phrases, the ‘he was a hero on the park’ nae a legend comments before twisting the silent knife.

Let me give you another recent quote
I felt I'd made it clear that McCoist will always be a legend and that we owe him a huge debt of gratitude for his work since administration.
So if I may translate. You’re a great guy but I’m going to blog about why you should be considered for the sack….gratitude just oozing from that….

To conclude, some even many have been sucked in by the over analysis, the subtle attacks, and what we end up with is Rangers fans writing this type of thing and justifying it with opinions they never formed in previous times about previous managers in less demanding circumstances.

This blog completely justify the efforts of English and Speirs etc,, so well done them.
Finally, it would be appreciated if you didn't question the allegiance of those with whom you disagree. We all want the best for Rangers.
Point taken, though the waters do get muddied with blogs such as this.

The McCoist Dilemma 8 years 1 month ago #2687

• True and Blue
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
I am lone voice it seems but let me try and address the points you’ve made.

1. Everyone back to defend a corner.....why? It means there is absolutely no out ball, the opposition don't have to leave any more than one person back to defend and when we clear the ball it just gets lumped back into our half to put us back under pressure.
Then you wanted Walter out then as he introduced it.
Now you could argue it’s not required in the lower leagues and I would tend to agree but then it wasn’t needed when we were 3 up in SPL games when Walter was in charge.
You see we do it from youth level through and it’s a discipline rather like only full backs can take throw ins. Aye ok let’s sack Ally.

2. Unimaginative style of football.....we have two methods of attack as far as I can see......hump the ball up to Daly, or feed Wallace down the left hand side....not in any way good enough.

In the early part of the season I felt the football was good. I would agree it’s gone downhill but feel the loss of Lewis is partly to blame along with the loss of form by Law.

3. Playing players out of position instead of trusting the younger players. This season it started with McAusland being sent on loan in order to play Faure, a centre back, at right back when the transfer embargo lifted. It has continued with McCulloch being played at centre back every week since the transfer ban ended, with McLeod being played out left to accommodate Black and Law, and more recently, in the case of this weekend, resulted in Faure being brought on at centre midfield when we had the likes of Crawford and Telfer on the bench. Considering the league was already won, the decision was baffling.

Baffling? No he wanted to win the game.
Have you considered the kids are not good enough yet? McAusland get mentioned a lot and the lad looks like he has promise but who knows if he is ready Ally thinks he needs games away from the fans who would no doubt be on his back by now.
McLeod out wide was explained by Ally as he thinks Law and Black are better, and so do I.

4. Signing players who add nothing to the squad, but add a drain to the wages. The signing of Simonsen, Foster, and to an extent Mohsni, were entirely unnecessary. We already had players, be it fringe players or young boys to fill those positions. In fact, the signing of Foster resulted in the release of Andy Mitchell who McCoist stated had clearly benefited from being on loan (in the division above us), but could not be guaranteed first team football. This shows an inability to judge what he already has at his disposal.

Well he must be the only manager to sign players that add little.
I’ve seen Walter or Eck spend millions on player who brought nothing.
Ally wanted Gallagher to have games and wanted cover hence Simonsen plus he works well with the young keepers at the club.
Foster I tend to agree and would add Smith to that
Moshni has been decent and having him protected a 17 year old from games he isn’t ready for.
Andy Mitchel was not good enough and the fact that Ally talked him up was sound bite, he judged him correctly.

5. The signing of Arnold Peralta....I don't even need to expand on this point.

Can’t disagree with that though watching him for his country he looks ok. Hasn’t settled in Scotland and he isn’t the first nor will he be the last for this to be the case.

6. The inability to play entertaining football in the second division, despite having a team comprising mostly of players of a Premier League Standard....quite frankly it's criminal that he has not been able to get their proven ability to show in most matches this season. It leads you to question whether he can get the best out of players.

See point 2.

7. The fact that he still insists that we need to add more players to a squad which is already full to bursting, when as mentioned, his core team comprise of players with plenty of Premier League experience.

We do though. We simply can’t risk not getting up. And it’s not simply adding as some will leave. Each year the team must improve he has identified this where as you haven’t.

8. Favouritism....quite simply over the course of the last two seasons, he has played favourites with certain players who under other managers who have been benched or dropped entirely until they bucked up their ideas. It's unbecoming of a manager, and does no good to a squad mentality.

An example of this would have been good however all managers play guys they can trust.

So to conclude your assertions are in some ways accurate however circumstance has in some ways dictated this.
You have forgotten the days we were moaning about Walter picking Adam or Eck with Namouchi, Big John dropping Cooper or allowing DJ to play where he wanted.
You’ve forgotten the infamous left half position that Walter seemed to draw straws to select for months.
You’ve forgotten Walter wouldn’t play Barry
Or what about the moans from the fans when Walter had Sasa at left back. This was before he became a very good full back.
Colin West
And various other non-scoring forwards by Souness.

As I say in my previous posts the media have inspired this and plenty have fallen for it.
A manager who secured second spot in the SPL with a point’s deduction and horrendous circumstances at the club. A man who stuck with us and has hardly lost a game in 2 years.
Aye let’s talk him down…he is a nice guy though so as long as you say that all is well.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds