Debate all our main site articles here.

TOPIC: A Protestant Club in 21st Century Scotland

A Protestant Club in 21st Century Scotland 9 years 9 months ago #765

Thanks all for the initial feedback. Allow me to make a couple of quick(ish) points in response.

Redneck-If a charter were to materialise then it would be excellent if it got the support of the club and various fans groups. The whole point would be to have people try and aspire to the 'Rangers values' therein though that would be difficult if not impossible to enforce. I think the most that we could hope for would be to create some momentum and allow it to take hold in that way. If the club were to back a document that emerged from the fans the I think that would be a massively popular and significant development.

Various people have argued that this idea would simply perpetuate the religious identity associated with the club. To reiterate my position: I don't think these things can just wished away or ignored. What we can do is look at ways that we can use our heritage in less divisive and more positive ways. Hypothetically, although the charter might contain values traditionally and popularly associated with 'the best of Scottish Protestantism' there would be no reason to identify them with this if one didn't wish to. These values could have any number of sources, it would be a matter of personal interpretation. I hope that is clear.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Twinman

A Protestant Club in 21st Century Scotland 9 years 9 months ago #766

I should also encourage people to submit their ideas on what they would consider the fundamental Rangers values or any other thoughts they might have on this idea and how we can take it forward.

A Protestant Club in 21st Century Scotland 9 years 9 months ago #767

I think a charter and self policing is the way to go and but that this charter should in no way be restricted or even linked to Protestantism. I like every Rangers fan i know am not religious and do not attend church, i would say however that this does not apply to me Celtic supporting friends of which many attend chapel with some regularity.

I'm glad to see similar sentiments from the posters above and I agree Alastair that there are many key values from religious faith that can be used in a charter without linking it directly.

This would all be moot however if it cant be enforced and personally I don't see how it can be. I don't think self policing is the answer I for one do not want to challenge a knuckle dragging bigot to stop singing his songs. It is impossible to predict how some of these people would react.

When I was 18 I was the victim of a particularly savage unprovoked sectarian attack which I was lucky to survive although this was at the hands of a group of Celtic fans I see no reason why the type of rangers fan who behaves in the same manner would not react in the same way. I do not think that burden of policing and risk should fall on the shoulders of paying fans. There is a police force who instead of talking about this behaviour and apportioning blame could perhaps arrest and ban the offenders instead.

Apologies Alastair if this is a somewhat negative post from a Rangers fan on what are excellent sentiments that I completely agree with but the self policing and sectarian behaviour are aspects that really bother me. I think they need to be discussed and addressed if the aims of this site are to be achieved.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CameronMGB

A Protestant Club in 21st Century Scotland 9 years 9 months ago #768

• Redneck
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
Alasdair

Loyalty
Honesty
Stoicism
Never-say-die (there is another phrase I'd prefer but fear being arrested)
Hardworking
Courteous

A Protestant Club in 21st Century Scotland 9 years 9 months ago #769

• Redneck
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
Footballisfun

Your point is well-made: self-policing is a much preferred option, in my opinion. Otherwise we risk continued "regulation" by Scottish politicians eager to show their influence over "the Huns".
The following user(s) said Thank You: footballisfun

A Protestant Club in 21st Century Scotland 9 years 9 months ago #772

• CameronMGB
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
It's about respect. Respect for opposing teams, respect for opposing fans, respect for the game, respect for self.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Billytf
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds