Debate all our main site articles here.

TOPIC: A Protestant Club in 21st Century Scotland

A Protestant Club in 21st Century Scotland 9 years 9 months ago #774

• Spacegirlgail
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I am very much in favour of a fans charter and self-policing (in so far as possible) but I initially felt uneasy about the Protestant identity and the idea of values being rooted in that. For me values are universal and free standing. However I recognise that for some people the club represents different things than it does to me. If we are to move forward at all I think we need to acknowledge and respect our differences. I think what I am really trying to say is that values are values and if we can agree what our values are as Rangers fans then it shouldn't make a jot of difference where we see the values as deriving from.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

A Protestant Club in 21st Century Scotland 9 years 9 months ago #775

Perhaps we are too glib about the idea of self-policing. It is something that is often talked about in rather abstarct terms but the reality is of course more challening. Super Phoenix Rangers, as you correctly pointed out, it is extremely difficult to reprimand a group of people who are singing inappropriate songs. The confrontational aspect of self-policing often goes unacknowledged. What we need to try and create, to compliment self-policing, is a culture of aspiring to be our best for Rangers. Having a set of common values to aspire to might aid this.

Gail, I take your point and I know you are not alone in feeling slightly uncomfortable about my original suggestion that the chrater should be an expression of what people commonly think of as the best values of Protestantism. I think your point about values having no particular origin is important and I think I was trying to articulate this with one of my earlier posts. I wouldn't envision the charter mentioning Protestantism. If people wanted to imagine different sources for these values then that would be absolutely fine. But I think some would see it as a positive expression of their Protestant identity and heritage and that would be fine too. I would prefer it find expression in the emobdiment of the values mentioned by Redneck and others rather than as anti-Catholicism which has absolutely no place in support for Rangers Football Club. Perhaps this position is a bit too nuanced for its own good?

A Protestant Club in 21st Century Scotland 9 years 9 months ago #777

• Night Terror
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
Self policing is not at all easy - my club having provided a recent illustration where someone from within our own support threw a drink on opposition fans below, provoking a large brawl inside the ground as the game was going on.

United fans have not been vocal in demanding the drink thrower be banned, far less immediately demanding he be ejected from the ground for inexcusable and cowardly behaviour. I have heard various excuses from fellow fans as to why they did not see fit to intervene or why the resultant violence was entirely justified. As a result of United fans not being sufficiently self-policing in this one matter, we are now at the mercy of the police and the football authorities as we await punishment.

This could have been avoided with a bit of moral fibre immediately following the drink-throwing. Fail to take action internally and prepare to have action taken on you externally. I know which I'd prefer.

A Protestant Club in 21st Century Scotland 9 years 9 months ago #778

Night Terror, it is commendable that you have not tried to excuse the actions of your fellow fans. I know many Rangers fans were frustrated at the way the media seemed to treat events at Tannadice with kid gloves wereas it feels as though we are often dealt with using knuckledusters.

I think many Rangers fans would fully agree with the sentiment of your final point. We have had to learn (some still seem to be learning) the hard way that if we don't deal with things internally then we can fully expect to face the wrath of various footballing bodies as well as political and media criticism. Whether we like it or not, we are seen as repeat offenders and this goes some way to explaining why our misdemeanors are pounced upon so eagerly. Time to take control of image into our own hands and realise that we have the power to shape how others see us-though things won't change overnight. I think the charter would be a positive step in that direction.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Night Terror

A Protestant Club in 21st Century Scotland 9 years 9 months ago #790

I have made this point before on this thread but again i dont se what your fans could have done in this situation. First of all it would have been too late after the fan had acted to stop any reaction from the Russian fans.

Secondly i have seen the pictures of the big lad in the red tie delivering some right hooks to the Russians. Now despite his emo haircut im sure those punches would hurt a bit. Why should you or any other DUFC fan be on the end of them (or worse a knife or bottle) when the police should be doing the self policing?

A Protestant Club in 21st Century Scotland 9 years 9 months ago #804

• Billytf
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
CameronMGB I wholeheartedly and enthusiastically agree with your post. Of all the words written on this very sensitive subject there is only one word that should be our charter and that is RESPECT. It starts with each of us as an individual in how we respond to others be they neighbours or strangers. It must continue in how we band together to support our team. The players must demonstrate this on and off the playing field regardless of the challenges they are confronted with. Respect your team mates, your opponents, match officials and yourself.
As a proud Glaswegian Rangers fan living in England I am proud of my background and at having the opportunity to remind people I meet in business and at leisure as I travel the world that Scots and especially Glaswegians take strangers at face value and without prejudice.
We as Rangers fans must be seen to be the epitome of that attitude.
Alasdair, thank you for posting a very difficult piece with such honesty and openness. Very commendable work!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Redneck, Twinman, Jolymack
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds